Is The Way You Sleep Aging You?
Age lines VS sleep lines - 5 tips to prevent them
Sleep lines and sleep wrinkles are an actual thing! The thought of one type of wrinkle line was enough for us… but did you know that there are 2 types of lines and wrinkles that form on your skin? Yep, we are just as upset as you are!
Lines and wrinkles form from aging AND sleeping. So, what’s the difference?
Aging lines, the most famous kind of lines that we all know well, are mostly those horizontal lines that can be seen across our face and neck from repetitive motions like facial expressions. They are also due to loss of collagen and elasticity, which comes with aging. Whether you’re noticing those fine lines under eyes in your 20s or the dreaded forehead wrinkles in your 30s keep reading for the best way to tackle these!
Sleep lines are often the lines we forget (or choose to forget)… and you guessed it, they are caused by the way we sleep. Sleep lines appear as vertical lines due to elongated pressure we put on the skin whilst sleeping, also known as “pillow face”. However, these lines don’t just show up on the face, many side-sleepers will start to notice these sleep wrinkles appearing on their décolletage area. These lines then tend to hang around for longer and longer in the mornings as we age due to loss of collagen.
So, onto the important part – how do we tackle these pesky aging and sleep lines?
1. SPF SPF SPF… did we mention SPF? If you had to choose one skincare product for the rest of your life always choose sunscreen! It is scientifically proven that sun exposure is the leading cause of aging lines.
2. Silk Pillow Slips - Swap out those pillow slips with fabrics that grip the skin stat! and get yourself a silk or satin pillowcase. This will help your face glide across the material easier cutting down on facial creases and sleep wrinkles.
3. We don’t mean to toot our own horn but our 100% Medical Grade Silicone Wrinkles Patches are proven to reduce both age and sleep lines. They work by comfortably hugging the skin and preventing the skin from being able to crease or wrinkle. Looking for a treatment for neck lines? Try our Neck Wrinkle Smoothing Patch.
4. Sleep on your back – we know it isn’t easy to go changing up your sleeping position but this will increasingly help keep away those folds and creases that overtime decide to hang around permanently when sleeping face down.
5. Power anti-wrinkle treatment - retinol… for retinol newbies this word can be a little scary but adding this to your skincare routine is a great start to preventing wrinkles and fine lines. Introduce retinol slowly to monitor how your skin will react and then begin to introduce it a few times a week. And always always wear SPF the next day after using your retinol!
SH$T… are my use of Sheet Masks really destroying the planet!?
Think about it – it's World Environment Day